Re: c/9072: -Wconversion should be split into two distinct flags

Segher Boessenkool <segher@koffie.nl> writes:
> Matthias Klose wrote:
>> It'd be nice if these two behaviors were two controlled via two
>> separate flags.  The second behavior would have caught a bug I've been
>> hunting for hours, while the first behavior is very undesirable to me
>> (and useless since I also compile with -Wstrict-prototypes).
>
> I remember having been annoyed by -Wconversion its behaviour, too.  Maybe
> this patch will do what you want?

I'm very much in favor of making -Wconversion more useful, but is
there any reason not to shift the argument-type-conversion warnings
entirely over to -Wtraditional?  Particularly if the warning is
avoided for prototypes in system headers (so that 'sinf' and the like
raise no complaints) -- this would, for instance, catch the occasional
problem we have with arguments of type 'bool' in GCC itself.

Then -Wconversion would be entirely for dubious type conversions on
assignment.

zw