Re: libstdc++-2.10-dev issue

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 02:10:09PM -0800, Ranjan Parthasarathy wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am using a woody system and using the 2.95.4 version of the GNU compiler.
> The standard c++ library (2.10)
> seems to miss out on some essential headers that are required as per
> standard c++ compliance and this is causing

The 2.* library (libstdc++ version 2) predates the C++ standard.  It is
very noncompliant.  It is also unmaintained.

> Particularly ios_base is not defined. I also tried with the 2.90.8 version
> of the standard C++ library
> from FSF and the patches for gcc-2.95.3 upwards and they seem OK. from what
> I could figure out,
> some of the headers were ommited in the release of 2.10 release (
> usr/include/g++3/std/bits).

2.90.* are early transitional snapshots of libstdc++ version 3.  It is a
complete rewrite, and has nothing to do with 2.10.

The 2.* libraries are noncompliant.  The 2.* compilers are noncompliant.
Also, nobody has been working on them for years.

Phil

                                                 - Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002