Re: c/7661: gcc-3.0 optimization bug on debian GNULinux on x86 with very simple program

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 11:55:27AM +0300, Alexei Khlebnikov wrote:
> > I think this program should not terminate at all because i will
> > always be one greater than oldi.
> > I think gcc3.0 has a problem with no optimization then but since
> > there is later version that works gcc 3.1.1, upgrade.
>
> With no optimization the program runs correctly by the rules of integers
> representation in memory. See the explanation below.

I must have been asleep last night :} Thanks Alexei!

gcc-3.1 generates similar code, don't have 3.2 on an i386 box
to test. Though 3.2 on an hppa box produces a condition check
even when at -O9 so other arches _do_ have it correct.

c.