Re: Debian crosscompiler packages

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 04:03:00AM +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Hakan Ardo writes:
>
> > The process is documented in /usr/share/doc/toolchain-source/README,
> > but should probably be placed where people might look for it. Where
> > is that?
>
> Maybe you want to provide an updated README.cross file for
> gcc-{2.95,3.0}?

Here is one for 3.0 as the toolchain-source package only contains the 3.0
source I see no reason for adding it to the 2.95 version as well.

--
Hakan Ardo <hakan@debian.org>, http://master.debian.org/~hakan/
How to build a cross compiler package

Cross-compiler packages are no long built from this package. Instead
each cross-compiler has it's own source package, which can be more or
less automatically created. They Build-Depend on the toolchain-source
package, which contains the source code of both binutils and gcc as
well as some scripts to create and update cross-compiler packages.

The tpkg-make script is used to create one binutils and one gcc
package that are ready to build, but might need some customisation in
order to succeed. The binutils package has to be built and installed
before the gcc package can be built:

  apt-get install toolchain-source
  tpkg-make <target>

  cd binutils-<target>-<ver>
  debuild
  debi

  cd ../gcc-<target>-<ver>
  debuild
  debi

When a new upstream release is made of either binutils or gcc a new
version of toolchain-source will be released with the new source
code. Then all the different cross-compiler packages has to be updated
and recompiled. This can be done by the tpkg-update script, which will
update the exact version dependency on toolchain-source to the
installed version of it and add an appropriate changelog entry:

  apt-get install toolchain-source

  cd binutils-<target>-<ver>
  tpkg-update
  debuild
  debi

  cd ../gcc-<target>-<ver>
  tpkg-update
  debuild
  debi

The process is described in more detail in the man pages tpkg-make(1)
and tpkg-update(1) as well as in: