Creating Packages of the GNU Compiler and the Introspector

Title: Creating Packages of the GNU Compiler and the Introspector

Dear Debian Gcc Developers,

I am a happy user of debian, and one of the great things about debian is the packaging system.

One thing that I have been wondering about is how the packages are created for gcc.

The introspector project has been my pet project for the past two years,
a patch for the gnu compiler to output the tree nodes as a xml files and post processing of them.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/introspector/

You have a tested version of the gcc and I can apply my changes to them to create a compatible version.

I have been thinking about how to distribute this package, and I realised that the debian package system is an ideal starting point for a

stable release of the introspector project with little conflicts.

Can you point me at some docs on how you coordinate this, what are the scripts and tools for patching and
where a good place to start reading about the gcc testing and porting is?

Can I release a patched version of the compiler? What are the rules about that, how can I keep in synch with your work and help you test as well?

Thanks a lot

Michael DuPont