Re: GCC predefines

Joel Baker <lucifer@lightbearer.com> writes:

> Next stupid question: which standard covers 'unix', so that I can make sure
> all the pieces are met and that I'm not about to force GCC to tell a lie
> that will come back to haunt me later...

I'm not sure why NetBSD doesn't define __unix__; it is a good idea not
to define unix, since that is in the application's namespace, and
should not be defined by the compiler.

The define __unix__/__unix/unix, to my knowledge, is not covered by
any standard - it is merely a convention. POSIX systems identify
themselves with different defines.

Notice that FreeBSD defines unix, as does NetBSD on m68k. It may be a
mistake: what does the system compiler define?

Regards,
Martin