Re: Gcc 3.2 64-bit mode on Sparc?

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 09:46:56PM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Roy Bixler writes:
> > I am running Sid and have recently been compiling many kernels in an
> > effort to get the 'ncpfs' filesystem to work on the Ultrasparc.  Using
> > the egcs64 package works for kernel 2.4.19 but it chokes on
> > 2.4.20-pre5 with an internal compilation error.  I then tried to
> > compile the kernel with gcc-3.2, but was very surprised to find that
> > it doesn't support 64-bit compilations.  I found even gcc-3.1 doesn't
> > support 64 bit mode.  I did succeed in compiling 2.4.20-pre5 with
> > gcc-3.0 but I shortly got a panic with the resulting kernel and am not
> > confident that gcc-3.0 is good for compiling kernels.  Does anyone
> > know when I'll be able to compile kernels with a non-ancient
> > (i.e. newer than egcs-2.92) GCC?
>
> There is a patch in debian/patches/sparc64-build.dpatch to build the
> 64bit binaries, which is broken since 3.1. The Debian packages are
> built with the alias sparc-linux, but somewhere
> unknown-sparc-linux-gnu gets in the way... To apply the currently
> disabled patch, edit debian/rules.patch.
>
> It would be nice, if someone interested in sparc64 could reenable the
> sparc64 build. Maybe building for sparc64-linux with code defaulting
> to sparc-linux could be done.

So I need to build my own GCC then?  I remember doing that in the old
days on SunOS machines, so I could do it again.  The reason I'm
surprised about the disabled 64-bit mode is that I heard that David
'sparc' Miller says that GCC v. 3.1/3.2 appear to (once again) be
suitable for kernel builds on the Ultrasparc.  Can anyone confirm
this?

Thanks,

--
Roy Bixler