Re: GCC 3.2 transition

On Saturday 17 August 2002 19:28, you wrote:

> I am currently doing this experiment on s390 without uploading of course. I
> have grepped the build logs of about 4000 packages that I have access to
> for g++|c++ and about 900 packages qualified. I am currently rebuilding
> these packages with gcc-3.2 using a local wanna-build DB. This will take
> some days. I will let you know the results.

I have put the preliminary data to
http://people.debian.org/~gt/gcc-3.2_transition/ .The file Packages contains
all files currently being rebuilt. The subdirectory failed contains the build
logs of all failed packages, still a lot, mainly due to c++ default argument
check changes since gcc 3.0. The subdirectory dep-wait contains the build
logs of all packages that depend on another package being built with gcc 3.2.
I have qualified the dependency with subdirectories if known. The
subdirectory 1iteration contains the build logs of all packages that compiled
successfully during the first iteration, i.e. only dependent on libstdc++.
The subdirectory 2iteration will contain the build logs of all packages that
will compile successfully during the second iteration and so on.

I will update the data once a day. Currently about 300 packages have been
touched.

I hope the data helps with any transition plan.

I think Matthew has presented a fine plan, but it is open how long the
transition will take with this plan. Maybe a deadline will be helpful, after
that source NMUs should be done.

Doing binary NMUs for each platform as in my experiment would also work but
needs a volunteer for each platform and a lot of bug reports for all the
failed builds.

Both approaches will duplicate the size of the affected packages in the
archive of course.

Gerhard