Re: GCC 3.2 transition

Steve Langasek writes:
> * It is assumed that for the vast majority of C++ libs we ship, upstream
>   has already transitioned to using the GCC 3.2 ABI, therefore our
>   current packages are already binary-incompatible with the rest of the
>   world. (ok)

right. One reason for the 3.2 release was a common base for Linux
distributions.

> * In these cases, having a package whose soname is compatible with the
>   rest of the world is considered more important than providing
>   compatibility for binaries locally compiled by our users against the
>   old, broken ABI. (ok)

Jeff Bailey planned to put these libraries in /usr/lib/gcc-2.95 (like
in the libc5/6 transition) and rename the packages containing the 2.95
libraries.

> * For any remaining libraries, there are many in Debian who don't give
>   a damn about getting it right, to the point that they don't want
>   maintainers to get any grandiose ideas about discussing this issue with
>   upstream and possibly hammering out a sane, cross-platform
>   transitioning plan for the library in question that actually manages to
>   NOT break anything. (not ok)

cross platform == cross architecture: yes. Jeff is working on a plan
to NMU libstdc++ dependent packages.

> But, I seem to be strongly outvoted on the last point. <shrug>

maybe we break some things in unstable for some days, but how do we
call this distro?

	Matthias