Re: How to get Debian to gcc-3.2 ....

On Sun, Aug 11, 2002 at 07:31:16PM +0200, Martin v. Loewis wrote:
> Jan-Hendrik Palic <jan.palic@linux-debian.de> writes:
>
> > since this is my first time to get a distribution to a newer standard
> > compiler and I have no experiance with it, I want to ask, what is the
> > way to switch over to gcc-3.2?
> >
> > A completely relaunch of debian or a slowly step step by step upload of
> > recompiled packages?
>
> For C++, it appears that all packages will be recompiled and uploaded
> in NMUs.

Of course, life is never this simple, as recently library fuckups
have shown.

I've talked to a number of developers recently that don't know
what's going on with the gcc-3.2 transition, and have said things
like "so, do I just upload my packages compiled against gcc-3.2?"
Given that about 5% of developers actually fully understand ABI
transitioning issues, and 25% (or more) only _think_ they understand
it, it would be nice for someone in the former group to send a
status report to d-d-announce, perhaps simply stating "The gcc-3.2
(and libstdc++) transition will be difficult, and we want to do
it right, so wait for instructions or end up looking dumb."

dave...