Re: FWD: C++ library packaging

Joey Hess writes:
> ----- Forwarded message from Nathan Myers <ncm@cantrip.org> -----
>
> From: Nathan Myers <ncm@cantrip.org>
> Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 22:35:20 +0000
> To: joeyh@debian.org
> Subject: C++ library packaging
>
> Hi Joey,
>
> I'm (re-)packaging some C++ libraries.
>
> Unfortunately the original packager failed to incorporate
> dependence on the compiler/libstdc++ version in the name,  so
> that equal versions of the library, but built with different
> compiler versions, cannot coexist.
>
> This is a general problem with C++ libraries (getting less so
> as the compiler and library maintainers slouch toward a fixed
> ABI), but is not mentioned in the policy manual.  I'm guessing
> we should incorporate the gcc-version in the package name,
> like libxerces-gcc3.1_1.7.0-1.deb.  The .so files, I suppose,
> would have to look like lib/libxerces-gcc3.1.so.1.7.0.

shouldn't this be the libstdc++ ABI version and the G++ interface
version?

> I don't know how many C++ library packages there are in Debian
> now, but they all need this treatment.
>
> Of more fundamental concern, the name for libstdc++ will have
> to change, because libstdc++ from gcc-3.1 is not upward-binary-
> compatible with the one from 3.0.x, so (IIUC) we can't have a
> libstdc++.so.3.1.

the shared object name already is different. why change the "basename"
as well?

> Fortunately, they have finally committed to
> binary compatibility for all gcc-3.1.x, but will soon release an
> incompatible gcc-3.2.  (Probably all gcc-4.x.x will be at least
> upward-binary-compatible.)
>
> I've been out of the loop for some time.  Has there been any
> discussion of this?

Jeff Bailey <jbailey@nisa.net> did some preparations for such an
upgrade. Basically if Debian should change the sonames of the
libstdc++ dependent packages or should do the transition in place.

	Matthias