Java/GCC 3.1-2.95 issue

Hi all,
	As a Java developer and Debian addict, I've been curious how "we're"
going about dealing with Sun's decision to move to gcc 3.1 in their next
incremental release of their JDK.
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4694590.html
(requires a login, I believe, major content mirrored in attachment)
	This may be the wrong place for this question, so I'll apologize ahead
of time for this.  I'm cc'ing the Java mailing list as well.
	I know that Debian had a way of dealing with gcc "switches" in the past
(I may be wrong), but I'm unaware of the mechanism for how this is
performed.
	I'll also apologize for my ignorance in this matter, I know little
about why (what?) the ABI changes from version to version (I program in
C++ as well, so the linking changes make some sense), or how to deal
with changes gracefully.

Anyway, I thank you for your time, and any information will help.  I'm
trying to figure out how to deploy Debian to our developers, who are
running a mixed environment of 1.3/1.4 (don't ask why, long story), and
will most likely run into the issue above, where they can only run one
or the other... maybe?

Thanks,
Matt
FULL PRODUCT VERSION :
java version "1.4.0"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.0-b92)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.0-b92, mixed mode)

I got this output by running java on a linux box that has gcc2.96.3, not 3.1.

Kondara MNU/Linux 2.1 with some CVS updates.
Kernel: Linux 2.4.18
glibc: 2.2.5
gcc: *3.1* (provides libstdc++.so.4.0.0)

A DESCRIPTION OF THE PROBLEM :
Java2 SDK 1.4 does not run at all on some Linux box that only has newer
libstdc++.
Newer version of gcc supplies libstdc++.so.4.0.0, and is not compatible with
older ones.

STEPS TO FOLLOW TO REPRODUCE THE PROBLEM :
1. Install gcc 3.0 or higher.
2. Install Java2 SDK 1.4.
   RPM complains about failed dependencies:
   libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2 is needed by...
3. Install Java2 SDK 1.4 with ignoring dependencies.
   (Using --nodeps) Of course this would not help at all.
4. run java -version. Then it complains:
   failed ../jre/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so. because libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2:
cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

This bug can be reproduced always.

CUSTOMER WORKAROUND :
Copy older libstdc++.so by hand from older gcc package.
(Review ID: 147011)

webbug sakuro