Re: is g++-cxa-atexit.dpatch still needed

Jack Howarth <howarth@nitro.msbb.uc.edu> writes:

>    Have you tried running the orginal test case from
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/1999-12n/msg00664.html
>
> with gcc 3.1 built without the g++-cxa-atexit.dpatch.

Yes, and it works fine for me with and without the patch.

> Both HJ Lu and Jakub Jelinek have been trying to make
> clear that since glibc 2.2 the -fuse-cxa-atexit is unnecessary
> because __cxa_atexit is no provide through the glibc
> atexit call.

While they are factually correct, you incorrectly draw the conclusion
that the g++-cxa-atexit.dpatch is not needed.

> That is why you can build gcc 3.1 without the patch and it passes
> the test case with or without being compiled with
> -fuse-cxa-atexit. The patch is totally uncessary.

It certainly is necessary. Without it, g++ won't register dtors for
global objects with atexit.

Regards,
Martin