Re: gcc-2.95.3

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 12:29:06AM +0100, Peter Koellner wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2002, Matthias Klose wrote:
>
> > It's unfortunate, that 2.95.x development got stuck somewhere.

There's a limited amount of manpower.  If you want to contribute to the 2.95
branch, feel free.  The release manager is still accepting critical patches.

> > Questions about 2.95.4 on the gcc mailing list remain unanswered.

Mostly because very few of us care about 2.95.  This should not surprise
you:  the 2.95 series is two and half years old, 3.0 is almost a year old,
and we're about to branch for 3.1.

The amount of work is expanding while the number of developers remains
constant.  Do the math.  :-)

> there even isn't a source distribution of 2.95.4 on the gcc site...

Of course not.  It was never released.  It doesn't exist.

I'm guessing that what's being called 2.95.4 is 2.95.3 plus some critical
patches -- i.e., what the "official" 2.95.4 would be if the 2.95-branch
release manager decides to make one.  The fact that "gcc -v" specifically
mentions "Debian prerelease" should make this clear.

Phil