gcc in testing (2.95.4) can't a build working kernel

Hello.

That's a bit of a broad statement in the subject line, so let me clairify
a bit.  gcc 2.95.4 on alpha has some pretty nasty bugs.  Because of those
bugs, it can't build many parts of the linux kernel.  Some of the problems
are in device drivers (the adaptec 2940 driver is one, DAC960 another),
other problems are in more basic parts of the kernel
(arch/alpha/kernel/smp.c, for example).  I've got a Digital Ultimate
Workstation (a dual 21164 533MHz - rawhide class machine).  When I try to
build a kernel for it using 2.95.4 the kernel (2.4.17) panics early in the
boot process.  I was able to use a kernel built with one of redhat's 2.96
varients w/o any problems.

I downgraded gcc to 2.95.2 and it was able to properly build the kernel
that booted just fine - same source tree, same .config.

It took trading about a dozen emails with one of the alpha kernel
maintainers to sort this one out.

I took a look at the bugs listed in bugs.debian.org/gcc but didn't see
anything that looked like this one.

Scott