Re: Linking Qt apps with g++-3.0

On 2 Nov 2001, Brian Nelson wrote:

> I've been trying out gcc-3.0 (3.0.2) with some little Qt apps that I
> wrote.  The code compiles fine, but fails with tons of undefined
> references Qwhatever objects when trying to link.
>
> All is well, however, when linking with 2.95.4.
>
> What's the problem?  Do I need to rebuild the qt libs with 3.0 to link
> against them?

Yes.  Not only has the libstdc++ ABI changed, but the symbol mangling has
as well (hence most of the undefined symbols that you're seeing).  I've
tested gcc/g++ 3.0 out on KDE on Alpha before and it worked fairly
well.  There were some problems (Konqueror crashed for no reason, etc),
but overall, it did work.  Also, be aware that the kdelibs and kdebase
packages didn't compile with 3.0 for quite some time unless they were
patched.  You may want to check with Ivan (the kdelibs/kdebase/qt
maintainer) to see if the patches are still needed if you plan on
recompiling.