Debian question

  I recently purchased and installed Debian 2.2 - Potato.  When installing, I
chose the "simple" application installation method.  I chose all of the
programming packages offered, yet I can't seem to find any java compiler,
such as javac, jikes, or gjc.  I understood it was also possible to compile
java with gcc, yet when I tried to compile a java script, it said that it
couldn't execute 'jc1' because there was no file or directory.  What is the
problem, and how do I go about getting a java compiler?  Thanks.