Re: GCC 3.0 status?

Quoting Joey Hess (joeyh@debian.org):
> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > It is an extremely bad thing since it means we loose binary
> > compatability with both other Debian releases and all other Linux
> > distributions. That is not something I want happen with Debian.
> >
> > What we need is:
> > * be sure that everything actually compiles with g++-3.0. The hppa
> >   porters are rapidly discovering that is not the case.
> > * talk with other distributions and see how they plan to transitition
> > * come up with a strategy that ensures we won't suddenly break
> >   binary compatibility in unexpected ways.
>
> If this does indeed take some time (which sure seems likely), perhaps it
> would be a good idea to move the existing gcc-3.0 packages from priority
> standard to priority extra in the meantime. As is, they are selected
> automatically by dselect, and worse, are being installed as part of all
> new installs of woody..

Which I think is a good thing.

Until we get to the point where we have central compile servers that
can do a "make world" to help us with such transitions, we sometimes
need to give the developers a subtile hint with an XXL sized clue bat.

I believe this is such a case. We need to remind them that we must do
the transition, there is no (sane) way around it.

Mike