Re: GCC 3.0 status?

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, Harald Dunkel wrote:

> Of course I _have_ gcc 3.0 installed. But I can't use it without redefining
> a lot of variables in all Makefiles, cause the compiler names are mixed up.
>
> My suggestion was to install all files and executables for gcc 3.0
> in /opt/gcc3 instead of /usr, to make sure that the ABIs are _not_ mixed.
> (I am using 'gcc 3.0' as the name of the whole compiler set, not just for
> the C compiler.) There is no need to artificially rename g++ into g++-3.0
> then.

An easier way to switch between compilers is to either use command aliases
(if supported by your shell) OR spin a custom set of gcc-defaults packages
for when you want to use a different compiler.  I've done the latter for
testing gcc-3.0 (or more specifically g++-3.0) on Alpha on several
occasions.  Makes life easier...you just have to remember to switch back.
NOTE, this is just a solution for a local test session NOT for building
packages for upload, so please don't jump on my skull about uploads
being generated because I'm definitely not advocating that!