new gcc for potato?

Philip Blundell writes:
> I think our current "gcc 2.95.4" is stable enough, and sufficiently better
> than the 2.95.2 in potato, that we should consider making new packages to go
> into 2.2r4 or whatever the next version is going to be.  I guess this should
> be straightforward enough to achieve.
>
> Anybody object to this?  If not, I guess I'll start working on it.

Not at all :-)

you might want to have a look at master.debian.org:~doko/www/gcc-potato.
This is a potato package of a pre 2.95.3, which still uses the
unversioned gcc names (which I would prefer for potato packages).

the current 2.95.4 doesn't builf on s390, but 2.95.3, so it might be
necessary to add a reverse-diff (for woody as well).

	  Matthias