Re: 3.0 and warning!?

Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:

> Ah, so it didn't just install it, you had it installed already,

Uh, I had gcc and friends 2.9x installed, yes.

> and it got upgraded. FYI, gcc-3.0 is not used by default.

I noticed it also installed (upgraded, really) gcc-2.95 later on, so
obviously it isn't replacing it with 3.0.  Good, I was a bit worried.

It's a bit weird for me as your humble end user to see that a (too)
new version of gcc apparently is upgraded to - normally, when a
package is available in different versions simultaneously, it's
explicitly named - e.g. gcc3 or something.

> Calling "gcc" or "cc" will use gcc-2.95. You need to set CC=gcc-3.0
> to actually use the new compiler. So the warning is pretty accurate.

Okay, the text scrolled away long ago - anyway, I think the message
could reflect this fact more clearly.  I certainly missed it (but may
be guilty of not reading it closely enough)

> However, after the next upgrade, it wont give a warning any longer.

gcc 3.0 will be the default?

Anyway, thanks for your help, and apologies for any unnecessary
trouble!

-kzm