Re: Binutils no longer autobuilding the cross-compiling packages...

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Matthias Klose wrote:

> Using the same source is a must.

Absolutely.

> - A policy compliant solution would be a binary source package for
>   each package which needs to be cross compiled. Same as
>   kernel-source. Then a package <arch>-toolchain could depend
>   on those packages and build the toolchain (like make-kpkg).
>   Pro: policy compliant; Contra: source duplication.

Obviously, due to the source duplication (and therefore, the inevitable
pollution/neglect of one or more of these sources/diffs), this is an
inferiour solution.

> - Another solution could be the introduction of source-depends
>   in the control file. Then the <arch>-toolchain package can depend
>   on these source packages and build the toolchain.
>   The gcc-3.0 package can be used in this way by setting the envvar
>   GCC_TARGET.

This is actually a good idea.  I thought of doing it in this same way, but
I'm not good at designing such schemes.  I could easily implement a var
similar to GCC_TARGET, though, to handle this case.  The only problem that
I see is if, say, binutils version changed due to a more recent upload,
but gcc did not...we would have to allow the building of non-synchronous
package versions without requiring the rebuild of the other parts of the
toolchain.  Plus, in the cases where ABI changes or bugs are fixed, we
would also have to allow the converse to be handled (ie. a change in
binutils that forced/required the recompilation of gcc).

>   To make this solution policy compliant download the needed sources
>   before building (as proposed by someone(?) on the list).

Source-depends would be the best to implement for this.  Either that or a
common binary-indep deb of the sources, much like the kernel-source debs.

> Anybody who finally wants to implement something like this for the
> toolchain? How good are the chances to change policy for
> providing an good way to build a cross env toolchain?

Count me out for the overall implementation of this, although I fully
support it.  I lack the time to write the scripts and debug them,
unfortunately, although I will handle the changes to binutils once a plan
is established (just tell me what vars need to be declared and what
targets to make)...