Re: Binutils no longer autobuilding the cross-compiling packages...

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, David Schleef wrote:

> Do you mean that you are removing the patches, or disabling them?
> I rather like the gcc-2.95 method of being native-only by default,
> but you can edit a few things and build cross-compilers yourself.

For now, I'm removing the patches.  I am keeping them around, but they do
need quite a bit of cleaning up to be policy-compliant.  As it stands, I
have several outstanding serious bugs against binutils and didn't want
that cleanup to hold up the package uploads for the next few weeks.

> Given how easy it is to build a debian package, I don't see much
> need for the maintainer to build N cross-compiling packages -- it
> also means that you're only likely to build the popular cross
> binutils, not, e.g, powerpc->i386.

I agree :-)  What we eventually want is a way to build them using the same
source but using maybe a helper package to do so.  Having cross-compilers
already-built in debian is the ultimate goal, but building all of them at
once is obviously not the way to accomplish this.