gcc & kernel

Hi
 I moved to debian potato last month from redhat 6.1 . I think I found
bug in gcc which influence kernel. First I used kernel 2.2.18pre21
from potato. Sometimes after loading from lilo and showing
"uncompressing linux ... " my computer halts. When I started kernel from
loadlin or used old kernel (2.2.16) from redhat this thing never matters.
Then I moved to kernel 2.2.19 (downloaded as tar.gz from www.kernel.org).
Everything worked fine until today (two days). Kernel showed after
uncompressing linux ... and empty line crc error.
 My computer use cyrix 686 150+ (I think revision 2.6) and board is
tomato 5dhx (intel hx chipset).
 I think problem may be in gcc because redhat use egcs 1.1.2 and it is
older than gcc 2.95 in redhat. Maybe some problems with cyrix. But I can't
understand why with loadlin is everything okay and with lilo sometimes not.

                                          Bye, Jan Gregor