Re: building gcc cross compilers

On Sun, 8 Apr 2001, Matthias Klose wrote:

>  > Ah... Yes, I recognize these symptoms now.  I had to run strace against the
>  > build process to find it myself.  You see, gcc doesn't need the include
>  > files to be in /usr/lib/gcc-lib, but it does need the *directories* to be
>  > there -- not because it needs anything in those directories, but because it
>  > constructs its include paths by appending ../../../../<arch> to
>  > /usr/lib/gcc-lib/<arch>/<version> -- and
>  > /usr/lib/gcc-lib/m68k-linux/2.95.3/../../../../m68k-linux/include/ (ugly!)
>  > will only point to /usr/m68k-linux/include/ if the directories in
>  > /usr/lib/gcc-lib/ exist, regardless of whether there's anything in them!

>  > So yes... this is a rather vexing bug in the build process for gcc 2.95.3.
>  > For me, it was easier to work around it by creating the directories instead of
>  > trying to fix gcc. :/  I don't know if this has been fixed in gcc 3.0?

> A policy compliant workaround could be a cross-gcc-2.95-base package,
> which contains these directories.

This will of course only solve the problem for those cross targets
specifically listed in the package, so it's not a very /scalable/ workaround;
but it could at least provide a workaround for common cross targets, yes.  If
you would like, I can put together a first attempt at this package which
provides directories for building cross-compilers to all of the other
supported Debian architectures.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer