gcc-3.0 transition

Hi debian-gcc,

Since we're using gcc-3.0 for the hppa port I've been running into some
packages that break with the new compilers. Since hppa is a young port and
still has some problems I'm often not sure if it's an hppa problem or a
gcc-3.0 problem. Even if I think it's a gcc-3.0 problem it it harder to
convince the maintainer of this.

IIRC gcc-3.0 is not a woody release goal. However it would be nice to get as
many packages as possible gcc-3.0 clean. Those of us working on the hppa port
will certainly be working on this.

So, I have an idea. Setup a gcc-3.0 based chroot on gluck.debian.org(i386) and
run a buildd to look for problems. Developers could also chroot into it to
work on cleaning up their packages. What do you think? This might also help to
find packages which no longer build due to changes in their build depends.

Thanks,

--
Matt Taggart        Linux Development Lab
taggart@fc.hp.com   HP Linux Systems Operation