Re: Building a cross-compiler for sparc

On Mon, 20 May 2002, Maarten den Braber wrote:

> [ i'm not subscribed to this list, i would greatly appreciate it if you
>   could CC your reply to me. thanks! ]
>
> Hi,
>
> Recently I bought a second-hand Sun JavaStation NC. I would like to run
> a custom 2.4 kernel on it so I need to compile a sparc kernel on my
> Athlon workstation. For that I need (correct me if i'm wrong) a gcc
> compiler that can compile for sparc platforms.

You'll need a cross-compiling gcc and binutils.

> To do this I've download the deb-source of gcc and followed the
> instructions in README.cross. But I haven't succeeded in compiling a gcc
> cross-compiler. It stops with multiple errors about 'No such
> instruction'. A little search on google learnt that it probably tries to
> use the wrong binutils.

Yes, that's the problem so far.

> I've tried compiling with binutils-multiarch and binutils-sparc both or
> each one alone installed but with no luck. Further searches about this
> problem didn't gave me any clue so I hope you can help me get my
> JavaStation and therefore gcc running :)

Binutils-multiarch is not meant to provide a cross-assembler or
linker...it simply provides multiarch-targetted utilities, such as
objdump and nm.  To easily produce a cross-assembler/linker, install the
toolchain-source package and read the docs on that. It's VERY easy to
produce a "binutils-sparc" package with that (in fact, I may even have
one somewhere)...should only be a one or two-command process :-)  If you
need help with that, let me know as I've done about 10 cross-assemblers so
far (just not uploaded since they're limited-use).

To produce a full cross-compiling toolchain, you'll also probably need the
headers from a sparc copied over onto your Athlon, FYI, before
bootstrapping gcc.