[Freedombox-discuss] GSoC project

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 7:27 AM, Sunil Mohan Adapa <sunil at medhas.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday 16 January 2018 11:26 PM, Dashamir Hoxha wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have created a GSoC project about installing FreedomBox
> > in a Docker container:
> > https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2018/Projects/FreedomBoxContainer
> >
> > If anyone would like to be a co-mentor I would appreciate it.
>
> Please evaluate the suitability of docker for running FreedomBox.
> FreedomBox requires systemd, firewalld, network-manager, certbot etc. to
> be working properly.  From what I know, docker is more oriented to run a
> single daemon inside a single process. This is the reason we chose to
> run our development box using VirtualBox/vagrant instead.

That's right, docker can run only one process. But here comes my great
discovery: what if we run `/sbin/init` itself inside docker? All the daemons
that you mention would work fine.

No, I am not making guesses and assumptions, I have been doing it for
years and it works great. There are a few tricks, for example for running
systemd
inside a container, but docker is much more flexible that people usually
think
and it can handle them.

For example look at this: https://github.com/docker-scripts/moodle
Moodle also requires systemd, apache2, mariadb, etc. to run properly.
Here is an example of Moodle running in a container: https://ocw.fs.al
What do you think about it?

Dashamir