[Freedombox-discuss] Translation Platform

On Thursday 13 July 2017 03:06 AM, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Danny Amir Haidar]
>> What do you all think about the platform choice? Do people want to stay on
>> Weblate? Or do people want to migrate some translation projects to
>> Transifex in the interest of translation speed and language diversity?
>> Please let me know what you think.
>
> I believe we should use Free Software tools as much as possible when
> developing the Freedombox, to reduce the risk of future lock-in, as well
> as contribute to the improvement of Free Software at large.  Because of
> this, I believe it would be a mistake to replace Weblate with Transifex.

I strongly agree with Petter.  In addition we should consider the following:

- We have put in significant effort in moving to Weblate (integration,
time and money).

- One day, FreedomBox project may host its own instance of Weblate on
Foundation's infrastructure for the benefit of FreedomBox and other
projects.

- Based on the feedback from translators, Weblate has not major
drawbacks that we care about and is likely not slower than Transifex.

- Weblate commits to our Git repository based with translator's name.
In general, the workflow as been quite nice and as I gather the same
can't be said for Transifex.

- Michal ?iha?, the person in-charge of Weblate, has been very
supportive of FreedomBox (and free software in general) and provides us
good support.  We have a mutual promotion arrangement with Weblate (see
front page of weblate.org and FreedomBox Wiki/Plinth pages).

--
Sunil