[Freedombox-discuss] Easiest way to modify models.py and views.py for Plinth?

Hello All,

I have a FreedomBox up and running, and I want to modify the Django project
Plinth that comes with my FreedomBox. I want to add one or more models
(database tables), and I want to add some view functions and templates.

Eventually, I probably want to make this into a Debian package that can be
installed easily by other FreedomBox users. That is ten steps down the
road, right now I just want to modify my own single FreedomBox machine.

I have seen the instructions here
https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Manual/Developer , but I still have some
rather basic questions:

1. I think I want to make a new Django app with my models.py, views.py, and
template files. Then I want to add it to INSTALLED_APPS in settings.py and
I will need to modify a few other files as described in the instructions
above. Does this sound like the correct plan?

2. On my FreedomBox, where exactly is the settings.py file that is being
used by Plinth? Where are the other files I will need to change? Should I
just edit the files, save them, and make a note of what I added?

3. Examples to follow would be nice. Is there a simple and well-built
Django app FreedomBox plugin that I can install, play with, and examine?
Ideally something which adds at least one Django model and adds a tab to
the Plinth admin interface.

(In case you?re wondering, I?m working on a project called HIE of One
https://github.com/HIEofOne/PersonalAS/wiki where I need single-sign-on to
FreedomBox first and will add the OAuth2 / UMA authorization server after
that. I think eventually many FreedomBox users might appreciate an app that
adds single-sign-on in order to have persistent accounts on the
FreedomBoxes of their friends.)

Thank you,

Adrian
--

Adrian Gropper MD

PROTECT YOUR FUTURE - RESTORE Health Privacy!
HELP us fight for the right to control personal health data.
DONATE: http://patientprivacyrights.org/donate-2/