[Freedombox-discuss] Usable, affordable, oswh hardware with up-to-date kernel support?

Pieter van der Eems <pieter at eemco.nl> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Triggerd bij the discussion about the rpi-2 I started looking for a
> new board to use as a server. I looked at the FreedomBox
> TargetedHardware (https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/TargetedHardware,
> thanks for the link, Its' very hard to find a oshw list using
> duckduckgo).
>
> The only board that are oshw complaint on that list are the OLinuXino
> boards and the Radxa Rocks. They also supply direct ethernet and sata.
> So far so good. Here comes the problem though, non of these sbc's has
> an up-to-date kernel, 3.4 is the best these things can do.

regarding OLinuXino:
mainline kernel and u-boot support is still wip.
I happily use 3.19 + some small patches to kernel and u-boot to get lcd
output with olinuxino a20 micro/lime2+lcd7/lcd10

for details please see:
http://linux-sunxi.org/Linux_mainlining_effort