[Freedombox-discuss] Fwd: Re: Dev: Networking Interface Config?

Quoting Petter Reinholdtsen (2013-12-25 12:12:44)
> [Anders Jackson]
> > The directive allow-hotplug has nothing to do with Network-Manager. The NM
> > only handles network devices NOT mentioned in /e/n/interfaces.
>
> Now, yes.  A few years ago, network-manager was behaving differently,
> and allow-hotplug was a way to tell network-manager to take control
> over an interface.  As this no longer is the case, I suspect it is
> obsolete.
>
> > If allow-hotplug is obsoleted or not I don't know.  But it is
> > handles by ifupdown. And if there is a network connected to the
> > device or not.
> >
> > And no, NM isn't needed and should not be used on a server.
>
> How should we handle disconnecting and connecting network cables,
> ensuring DHCP is started when the cable is plugged in?

Two tools exist: ifplugd and netplug.  The latter consumes less energy
but works on fewer network devices.

> > What to use of eth0 or eth1 depends on the hardware and what name
> > udev gives the device.
>
> Which Dreamplug boxes uses eth0, and which uses eth1?

We can use ifrename to dictate network device names from a configfile
instead of from semi-random udev choice at initial boot.

 - Jonas