[Freedombox-discuss] Novena vs. Olinuxino

Quoting ST (2013-08-20 17:38:50)
> I'm not a hardware profi and was looking around to buy a small arm
> computer to run Debian on it. I watched the FreedomBox video from
> DebConf yesterday. Novena project (
> http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=3265 ) was mentioned there with
> significant excitement because its an open hardware project. My
> question is - how is Novena better than the open hardware project
> OlinuXinu ( https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/ ) that is also
> appears on the FreedomBox's TargetedSoftware webpage? Is Olinuxino not
> completely open? Are there some binary blobs? Why to wait for Novena
> if Olinuxino is already there and runs Debian out of the box?

As Bdale mentioned in the talk, Novena has better technical specs.

Also, even if OLinuxIno _boards_ are Open Hardware, the Allwinner SoC
used on them is poorly documented, and not yet in mainline Linux tree.

Might be, however, that other boards also including crypto features
emerge by the time Novena becomes real.

...and might be that the FreedomBox Foundation is one of the "partners"
mentioned at recent blog entry about Novena:
http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?tag=novena

Perhaps someone affiliated with the Foundation would like to share what
they know about this...

 - Jonas