[Freedombox-discuss] Rebasing FreedomBuddy?

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 08:59:04AM +0200, Alexander Berntsen wrote:

> On 11/09/13 03:24, Nick Daly wrote:
> > Are there any other (better) options than the (rather nuclear)
> > public rebase?
> Revert it. State in the revert commit why you reverted ("somebody
> fucked up"). Don't rewrite history -- *ever* -- on a public
> repository. That takes precedence to almost all other rules. The only
> acceptable reason to do it is because of legal trouble or similar.
>
> Of course this is all just my opinion, but I think you'll find that
> rewriting history on public repositories is generally more than
> frowned upon.

This is not just your opinion, this is gospel. Never rewrite public
history is a truism accepted everywhere in the git world.

The bad commit should definitely be reverted, not rebased.

--
Paul Elliott                               1(512)837-1096
pelliott at BlackPatchPanel.com               PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J