[Freedombox-discuss] MinnowBoard (was: why choose new OSHW (Open Source HardWare))

> What is the point of choosing new hardware? Will picking a different
> hardware target help to spread the software development? Will a small
> percentage of the million RPis get used for privacy work?

Speaking of open hardware, I notice that Intel has a relatively new UEFI
dev board, that is based on "open hardware" and uses Angstrom/Yocto.
(Unfortunately, not everyone uses the same definition of open hardware...)

http://www.minnowboard.org/
http://uefidk.intel.com/content/minnowboard-uefi-firmware

So, it's an Linux-optimized box, with UEFI but without Win8, from Intel,
who presumably have goals to make Linux and UEFI work well on this box.
There is upcoming support for FastBoot, but I don's see anything about
Linux-centric SecureBoot. Perhaps encouraging.

It's not a plug-based form factor, nor an ARM box. But if FreedomBoxes
are not mobile, this Atom box might be an option.

Maybe the FBF people who contacted GlobalScale about getting a
FSF/Debian-style free toolchain/boot loader could talk to them, to
ensure it's really free enough for FBX use, so it won't need to be
hacked by Bdale/etc after-the-fact, again.

"Board Design Goals: Our goal was to create a customizable developer
board that uses Intel(R) Architecture and can be easily replicated. It
is a simple board layout that lends itself to customization. The
hardware design is open.  We used open source software as much as
possible. We used standard (not cutting edge) components that are in
stock and affordable, to keep the cost down. Finally, we designed a
small footprint with hopes of making it even smaller."