[Freedombox-discuss] Virtual Machine Scripting and Tiny Tiny RSS

Hello.

Den 20 maj 2013 02:15 skrev "Sean Alexandre" <sean at alexan.org>:

> I went to a presentation this past weekend about Tiny Tiny RSS. It's an
RSS web
> app that can be installed on a server, to provide something like a
"Google Reader" app.
> (The title of the presentation was "The Coming Google RSS Reader
Apocalpyse", at
> BarCampRDU 2013.)
>
> The presenter has Tiny Tiny RSS running on a machine at home, and is
providing service

> Tiny Tiny RSS is listed on the FreedomBox LeavingTheCloud page:
> http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/LeavingTheCloud
>
> This got me thinking about how I'd like to Tiny Tiny on the machine I've
got at home.

> Ideally I'd have a script I could run, that just spins up a new VM
running Tiny Tiny.
> It would be something like:
>
> freedombox-vm create tiny-tiny-rss [instance-name] [config-script-file]
> freedombox-vm start [instance-name]
>
> The VMs would run using KVM. Here's an interesting post on this, from
this past week:

> How to get started with libvirt on Debian
> http://rabexc.blogspot.com/2013/05/how-to-get-started-with-libvirt-on.html

Thanks for those links.

I like the idea, a lot. Make the Freedombox a router in front of all
services, manage the network connections for all services to Internet and
the local network.

As Freedombox are targeted at low powered devices, virtual machines might
be to heavy though. You might look into containers instead. LCX might be a
better solution for this. Faster and lighter to set up, run and tear down.
And I know it works on more targets, like in ARM machines.

https://www.berrange.com/posts/2012/01/17/building-application-sandboxes-with-libvirt-lxc-kvm/

> I want to dig into this as a next project, after some other things I'm
working on.
> I thought I'd put it out there to get any thoughts other might have on
this, and
> find out if anyone else is doing something similar.

Yes, there are some work based on LCX. I at least have read about a duch
who made some progress about LCX last year.  Very interesting work.

> Ultimately, it seems this kind of approach would be a good one for
FreedomBox in
> general. The process of spinning up instances would be hidden behind the
FreedomBox
> web UI, but a user would essentially be doing things such as
"freedombox-vm create"
> and "freedombox-vm start".
>
> This way, services are better insulated from each other, for better
security.  The
> host machine would probably be doing basic network services (dhcpd,
dhclient, iptables,
> etc.) But then there would be a separate VM for user services such as an
RSS reader,
> social networking, chat, etc.

I like this approach.