[Freedombox-discuss] chat over websockets

On 4 January 2013 16:32, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho at gmail.com> wrote:

> I came across this nice tutorial that shows you how to run chat over
> websockets
>
> http://martinsikora.com/nodejs-and-websocket-simple-chat-tutorial
>
> I added this to my freedombox in about 30 minutes including installing
> nodejs, opening ports, adding WebID integration
>
> Presently, it's one big chat room, but I may add multiple channels,
> encryption, an nicer UI and other good stuff

A quick note to say ive added a couple of features:

Multiple chat rooms based on origin  e.g. http://fbx.webid.im/

Also end to end encryption

Set your localStorage.setItem('key', 'secret')

and it will aes encode messages so that not even the server can see what
you type

still a little buggy but it does work and it's nice to know that with a
freedombox and a day spare to code, you can quick knock together useful
apps! :)