[Freedombox-discuss] InDisk -- does this technology exist in open source?

John,

The key point is assembling files which are presented to the app as
files, but after requesting them from different sources over the net.
The data also doesn't have to be in the literal file format that's
presented to the user.

Suppose I access an overview.ods spreadsheet file on my K: drive (or
/dev/whatever).  That file does not physically exist, but through InDisk
is a logical file that assembles data from a MySQL database somewhere,
queries whatever it's programmed to through the setup, and prepares the
ods spreadsheet file on-the-fly when it's requested.  This allows the
calling app to receive a file as it was designed to do, but no longer
directly from a regular storage or network source.  It now gets an
assembled file which presents as a real file, but all
reads/writes/locks/unlocks/etc go through the InDrive layer, which then
issues appropriate SQL updates back to the server, or if it's on another
format, possibly git push's or whatever.

Does Linux/UNIX currently allow that as a generic virtual file system
ability?

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin