[Freedombox-discuss] [Arm-netbook] Single-Core Cortex A9 1ghz, ECC DDR3 RAM available soon

Damn, multiple mailing lists, some missing bits... Difficult to follow.

> >> ?so it depends what's more important to the freedombox foundation. ?to
> >> put out a message that it's "ok that CPU Manufacturers are
> >> dishonourable and only provide information under NDA, and we, the
> >> FreedomBox Foundation fully and actively support and endorse this
> >> behaviour, as evidenced by our supply of units to our Sponsors".
> >
> > I wouldn't call the behaviour you describe as dishonourable, merely business
> > limiting
>
>  right.  just as the 90% GPL violations rate on android tablets is not
> "dishonourable", merely "business limiting"
>  http://www.codon.org.uk/~mjg59/android_tablets/
>
>  [that's not me being sarcastic, btw].
>
> > (or at least it should be, contrary to the example we are
> > discussing here). I can understand the moreal-hazard aspect of your
> > argument, though.
>
>  it's about leading by example [ghandi: "be the change you want to see
> in the world"].
>
>  if the FreedomBox Foundation holds to certain principles, to respect
> Software Freedom, how the f*** does it look if the FreedomBox
> Foundation does not uphold those principles itself??  what message
> does that send to the world?

I agree that GPL violation is a no-no.
However, Gordan got a point: there's a good support of Marvell Kirkwood in
mailine.

Is Marvell violating the GPL? I don't know. Do you?

IMHO, The problems of NDAs with the kirkwood arch are less related to the code
(free drivers are in mainline linux, or even NetBSD) than to the difficulty to
design a product.

The whatever-plugs are great hobbyist devices, but they shall be enhanced to
become a ready to use freedom box. Marvell won't discuss until NDAs are signed
and money is thrown on the table.

Also, I believe that such a freedom box should take the place of the ISP box.
Otherwise, there could be networking troubles (not evereryone knows how to
configure his box, do some NAT and so on) and what's the point to create a
"freedom" box if it is hidden behind a proprietary ISP device?
(Not to mention that most of these ISP boxes are f**king crap)

Then, my question is: do you guys know where to grab xDSL (or whatever
technology is used in your country) chips that could fit
in such an embedded device?
I searched for a while and it seems to be even difficult to get a PCI ADSL card.

Cheers,

Sebastien