[Freedombox-discuss] Objectives and Introduction

On 11-06-09 at 09:46pm, Bdale Garbee wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 03:57:41 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk>
> wrote:
> > That said, I believe Bdale is aiming more broadly for now: Try read
> > his mail with a fresh mind - without assumptions on specific designs
> > like Debian Pure Blends or anything else.
>
> Actually, Jonas, I think the basic definition of a Debian Pure Blend
> is a pretty good description of what I think we want to deliver.
> There are certainly elements of other Pure Blends that aren't relevant
> to us, though.
>
> Are there specifics about what being a Debian Pure Blend implies that
> concern you?

I am very, VERY happy that you see it like that!

No, I am not against tying FreedomBox to DDD[0] - quite the opposite!
My only reason for above comment was to avoid rushing to conclusions in
this process of consensus making which you've started.  But I guess I
should just let you do your own talking, that's probably less confusing
;-)

I am, however, concerned if we agree on what it means to be a "Debian
Pure Blend":  Andreas Tille focus a lot on usability of the Debian Pure
Blends concept where I care most for the technical principles of it.
Andreas worries if my being so obnoxious about the "Pure" part is
hurtful for adoption of the concept, while I on the other hand worry
that his more relaxed interpretation ruins it as happened with its
previous name.

I am confident that any potential major disagreements on the
interpretation will be revealed in our conversations in the next months.

You are also welcome to ask directly about the concept.  I know that I
have been lousy at promoting/defining it, so any questions can only
improve the situation.

Regards,

 - Jonas

[0] The little-known abbreviation of "Debian Pure Blend" is "DDD".
Deliberately difficult to expand without knowing the concept ahead, as
misinterpretations was the very reason for renaming the concept: Only
the long form is intended for the wider public, the abbreviation only
meant for internal use of those already aware of its meaning.  It is a
play on the SPARS code which actually makes surprisingly good sense -
more info at http://wiki.debian.org/DDD