[Freedombox-discuss] Email on the FreedomBox Discussion

Abhishek Dasgupta <abhidg... at public.gmane.org> writes:

> This is okay for people with static IPs. For most people, end point
> email on their FB is simply not an option because of dynamic IPs,
> which may cause email to be delivered to an unknown computer if my
> server is down.

I don't think it works that way.  A server not receiving mail would
never send an acknowledgement, bouncing the message.  A server that does
receive mail should have a whitelist of domains it can accept email for.
That whitelist should never be "*".  Failing the whitelist should also
cause an error.

Also, how "dynamic" is your dynamic IP?  Mine will go weeks or months
without changing.

> Also, sending from dynamic IP addresses is nearly guaranteed to get
> one's mail blocked by ISPs or webmail providers.

That's still a problem though.  SMTP (delivering mail) is a completely
different problem than IMAP (receiving mail).  I've been wondering how
it'd be possible to set up some sort of public smart host for FBX mail
delivery.  Everything I can think of relies on some sort of
authentication (sending mail signed by keys in the server's web of trust
only, etc.) making generally anonymous mailing impossible by definition.

On Wed, 2011-08-24 at 10:17 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> imap is the easy part. smtp is the hard part ;-)

What an odd world!  It's incredibly easy to hear anything, but much more
difficult to say it.

Nick
--
GPG: 0x4C682009 | 084E D805 31D8 5391 1D27 ?0DE1 9780 FD4D 4C68 2009