[Freedombox-discuss] Friendika

On 13 July 2011 23:32, Mike Macgirvin <mike at macgirvin.com> wrote:
> On 14/07/2011 12:03 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>>
>> W3C is around to make sure everyone plays fairly, and everyone gets a
>> say. ?OStatus are there because they have made an effort and have
>> implementations. ?Zot can be too. ?Facebook recently joined the W3C,
>> too and google have been a member for a while.
>
> I'm in the W3C Incubator group - as a "read-only" participant. Friendika has
> been federating the social web more than anybody.

Great!

> In fact I was muzzled on the original federated social web group because of
> my vocal opposition to the FSW *mandating* the acceptance of unsolicited
> communications - e.g. SPAM. Not much collaboration can happen when you get
> shut out of the process for speaking up against lunacy.

I'm sorry if you felt excluded, I can understand that would be
off-putting, I certainly would not have shot down such an idea.
Generally there is a decent level of courtesy on the lists, and
persistence does tend to pay off.

> I'll federate with whatever emerges - but so far all I have to work with is
> an insecure spammy protocol which you can't get anywhere near private
> messages - as it is publicly broadcast. We do our best to support it despite
> these fundamental flaws.

Awesome.  Hopefully we'll have a few WebID mini networks going 2nd
half of this year.  Here is quite a nice emerging project:

http://myprofile-project.org/

I use this in conjunction with my home page.  My home page contains my
public key (that's all you need to be a WebID provider).  Then I can
sign in to that service which currently provides me with a "wall",
notifications, ability to ping others, rss feeds etc.   If at some
point I dont like their social networking services, I can easily
switch some components to other providers, perhaps with better
security etc.

Would be really nice to try some interop tests, where appropriate,
later in the year ...