[Freedombox-discuss] Friendika

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 21:09:18 +1000, Mike Macgirvin <mike at macgirvin.com> wrote:
> >> This looks like an interesting approach.  Has anybody used it/hacked
> >> it/loved it/hated it?  Is this something you want to see in the
> >> FreedomBox?
> >>
> >> http://project.friendika.com/
> > There are many other projects like it and a W3C incubator for standardization of federation protocols:
> >
> > http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/federatedsocialweb/wiki/Platforms
> > http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/federatedsocialweb/
> >

> I wrote Friendika initially so I'm a bit biased.

I really love that FreedomBox has gathered so many people doing so many
wonderful things in one place.

> The W3C incubator is completely dominated by OStatus and a couple of
> people clamouring for WebID. OStatus has no privacy (really, none) and
> the major players are only beginning to discuss this shortcoming. WebID
> is an SSL infrastructure - which solves privacy issues at a cost of
> everybody being accountable to an SSL signing authority. There are other
> lesser technical issues, but this is the elephant in the room.
>
> You are welcome to chase the W3C, but it will be a long time before you
> see anything that provides secure communication, and when you do - you
> will know that it was designed by committee. Might as well just use SMTP
> and be done with it.
>
> Diaspora has gone it alone and developed their own privacy layer - as
> have we. We're currently developing a second generation private
> messaging and remote access protocol (called "Zot!") drawing from our
> real world experience with cross-network communications. It is public
> domain.

That is exciting stuff and I can't wait to dive into it a bit.

> I don't believe for a minute that Friendika will solve the Fredombox's
> unique requirements, especially since we are somewhat tied to existing
> infrastructure at the network layers. However our technology is open to
> all and we believe strongly in many Freedombox concepts - privacy,
> security, decentralisation. You may find something within the project
> that you can use. As I follow these discussions, I'll be sure to speak
> up if we already have a solution to a problem you're facing, or
> especially if we chose a different solution than you because we got
> bitten in the butt trying it your way.

Thanks for the perspective.  The privacy layer of the FreedomBox is a
deep and complex creature.  Is there available a technical description
of what you've done in that regard?