[Freedombox-discuss] imap <-> http proxy? was Re: email recommendations?

So I have been working on a web based mail client, and I have taken the
approach of the client keeping mail in its own database, so it can do
its own indexing, organisation, and search of the email.  I understand
this gets away from a purely standards based approach.  Lots of webmail
clients seem to be just wrappers that pass through to IMAP, while
desktop email applications like Thunderbrid, etc, take the approach of
syncing mail to their own database.  This allows for more complex
searches and greater speed than the IMAP protocol can deliver.  Also a
message database does not have to limit itself to traditional email.  It
could have inputs and outputs to other protocols that provide better
trust, security, etc, than SMTP and friends.

That being said, it would be nice if there was a standard http based
messaging service protocol.  My code ( yrcloud.com ) is currently
written using Django and JSON-RPC, but I have been thinking a bit that
maybe a NoSQL database with a JSON-REST interface might be a more
general approach to take.  I have a bit to learn before deciding if such
a switch is worth it though.  Regardless, such a system would need
gateways to the traditional IMAP/POP3/SMTP protocol set, but could also
include gateways to things like Diaspora or Status.net.

I am using gmail as my inspiration here.  Gmail is fast, lets you do
complex searches fast, organises messages by threads automatically and
very well, has tagging, filters, etc.  I don't think anyone could
implement a Gmail equivalent as an IMAP pass through.  It would have to
have a richer schema and set of search functions than that.