[Freedombox-discuss] We do need mesh networking

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 7:49 PM, Michael Blizek
<michi1 at michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com> wrote:
> I have not seen *any* ready-to-use of meshing so far that is very scaleable.
> In order to scale, you basically have to limit the depth of routes you
> discover and the length of routes you take. Otherwise in average, everybody
> needs to forward more data compared to the amount of data end nodes can
> send/receive.
>
> How do you intend to do this in netsukuku?

Good question.
For a better explanation I invite you to read the docs on the site.

Netsukuku uses a reactive protocol, and a path vector algorithm [1],
hence the data you need to "announce" and memorize for each
destination is even bigger. The key mechanism to reduce this data is
to use a hierarchical topology of the network. Nodes are grouped in a
so called g-node, g-nodes are grouped in g-g-nodes, and so on. In
analogy of IP classes of addresses.
So the real problem that netsukuku had to solve (we did it) is to
assign IP addresses that are consistent with this hierarchy and
dynamically react to changes in the topology.

--Luca

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_vector_protocol