[Freedombox-discuss] [Freedom Box] Finding your FB box on the network

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 06:41:02PM +0200, Christian Br?dstrup wrote:
>2010/10/14 Bjarni R?nar Einarsson <bre at beanstalks-project.net>
>
>> Your suggestion was that people plug a cable in to the box and some
>> sort of network magic took place - which initially sounded really
>> complicated to me. But if you strip out all the fancy authentication
>> protocols, and implement a "just trust the LAN on first boot" policy,
>> then a physical cable can be the recommended way to make that secure
>> on first boot.
>>

>How about if the web server only accepts local IP's during the install
>process? That should provide some security. Then you need to be on the
>LAN to access the install process or have hacked into a box that is on
>the network.

I already imagined our enemy sitting on the same wire as ourselves.
Maybe proxied through some virus infection on a Windoze box or a hacked
router.

>Then we can advice the user to unplug the Internet during the first
>stages of the install process (but not have him only connect the two
>computers directly) and only allow one user to access the web install
>interface at a time.

Unplugging *other* cables than the one connected directly to your own
computer is not simple.

I recently asked my mother to do exactly this when helping her out over
the phone, and she (a teacher using both Mac and Windows) was confused
about which network cables goes where in her own house (and no, I did
not set it up, and really it is only 4-5 cables total!), and she was
uncertain if she would manage to properly plug the network back together
again.

>If more the one user tries to access the install interface it will just
>display:
>
>One user is already connected to the device. If that is not you then
>you may have a intruder on the network. Please unplug your device,
>disconnect your Internet connection and try the installation again. If
>you still get this error go ask you son to stop it ;)
>If that is you then enter the security code you recived during the
>installation.
>
>The installation could generate a security code at install time that is
>only known to the first user on the system.

With security code you mean a PIN?

I find it silly to not use strong encryption from the beginning.

If you do mean encryption key above, then that is what I (tried to)
propose: When clicking on the big red button, the FreedomBox switch from
about-to-enter-erase-myself state to erase-myself state. And thus cannot
be controlled by more than one user - i.e. cannot both be in control of
our user and hijacked at the same time.

We need to support "hijacking" as our user may have lost their
encryption key so need a way to reset without being able to authenticate
themselves.

My proposal was to prove ownership by needing to do something special
physically to the bos for it to enter about-to-enter-erase-myself state.

In about-to-enter-erase-myself state...
   * anyone can reach the FreedomBox
   * noone can reach data on the FreedomBox
   * if FreedomBox already contains key, only key holder can reset
   * if FreedomBox contains no key, anyone can reset

If our user hits the button first, then she is given a key and is then
the only one who can access the installed system.

If our user is too slow and an evil person hits the button first, then
our user cannot hit the button, and (if not noticing that) cannot access
the installed system - and will then simply try again.

>That is so low tech that even my mother should be able to figure it
>out.

Your mother can figure out to juggle with a PIN at install time and a
proper security key at the end of the install routines, but cannot
handle skipping that temporary PIN?!?

>The installation could have a 30 sec delay time from the user logs in
>and until the installation starts so that if a intruder should have
>taken over the box at boot he can't begin the installer for the first
>30 sec and the "real" user can discover the intruder and disconnect the
>box without harming the system.

...and your mother is fine with above delays - which I believe is
completely needless with my proposal?

>This should work on both a headless and non-headerless install and then
>all the WebID could be setup later (if the user wants to use it).

Oh, you mean if the user wants an insecure box?  Or which alternative
security mechanism do you have in mind for your mother other than an SSL
certificate installed in her web browser?

>About the Zeroconf. Both the user and server need the software right?

Yes, both parties need the tcp/ip stack and a bit on top of that.

MacOS X supports Zeroconf out-of-the-box (they call it "Bonjour").

I believe Windows supports UPnP out-of-the-box.

Linux systems quite commonly supports Zeroconf, I believe.