Re: New Font Packages? - Nerd Fonts

On Tue, 2023-05-09 at 01:02 -0400, Rick Calixte wrote:

> request that the eligible fonts under the Nerd Fonts repository

I don't think it is appropriate to package the Nerd Fonts repository
for Debian in general. It just copies glyphs from a few icon fonts
into a ton of other ones. That should not be needed since most font
rendering now copes fine with rendering text from multiple fonts at
once. If there is something that doesn't cope with this, it should be
fixed instead of working around its brokenness with font patching.

Also none of the copies of fonts they have include source formats,
which might be a DFSG violation and a license violation for some fonts.

Of course, the icon fonts that it copies from and the other fonts that
it copies to should be packaged for Debian if they aren't already and
are useful for someone, are DFSG-free and preferably have source code.

> without matching upstreams be included in Debian's repository

Could you explain some more about this? Where did these fonts come from
if not from some other upstream? Most in your list definitely have one,
I was able to find all except one via search engines and READMEs etc.

> Aurulent Sans Mono

Couldn't find one yet, I wonder where it really comes from.

https://int10h.org/blog/2015/12/bigblue-terminal-oldschool-fixed-width-font/

> Code New Roman

A comment here says this is a derivative work of Microsoft Consolas:

https://localfonts.eu/freefonts/traditional-cyrillic-free-fonts/code-new-roman/

So this probably isn't even allowed to be redistributed.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/font-list/consolas

https://github.com/jesusmgg/comic-shanns-mono

https://github.com/BourgeoisBear/DaddyTimeMono

http://font.gohu.eu
https://github.com/koemaeda/gohufont-ttf

> Heavy Data Mono

License in Nerd Fonts repo doesn't look DFSG-free. Likely from:

https://web.archive.org/web/http://www.vicfieger.com/~font/

https://typeof.net/Iosevka/

https://github.com/google/fonts/tree/main/ofl/lekton

https://github.com/mishamyrt/Lilex

> Meslo

Based on an Apple font, so might not be redistributable.

https://github.com/andreberg/Meslo-Font

https://github.com/RedHatOfficial/Overpass

https://tobiasjung.name/profont/ ;

https://github.com/googlefonts/spacemono