Re: Fonts prohibiting installable embedding

On Tue, Oct 5, 2021 at 11:03 AM Harald Koenig <harald@mailbox.org> wrote:
On Oct 02, Norbert Preining wrote:

> Agreed. Concerning cmdline, I fear no .. lintian does something as
> follows in perl for opentype, see
> https://salsa.debian.org/lintian/lintian/-/blob/master/lib/Lintian/Check/Fonts/Opentype.pm
> (and Truetype.pm for a similar code)
>
> const my $PERMISSIONS_MASK => 0x0f;
> const my $NEVER_EMBED_FLAG => 0x02;
> const my $PRINT_PREVIEW_ONLY_FLAG => 0x04;
> const my $EDIT_ONLY_FLAG => 0x08;

any idea what flag bit 0x01 is used for ?
and what's the idea of "EDIT_ONLY_FLAG" for fonts ?

According to the OTspec (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/opentype/spec/os2#fstype) the "edit only" option means that a font (a) can be embedded in a document and (b) can subsequently be transiently loaded onto a system opening the document to edit the document. That's in contrast to "can be transiently loaded onto a system for read-only usage of the document".

I suspect that the confusion of the _ONLY label is just due to sub-optimal naming; I don't think the specification upstream matches that, semantically.
Nate
--
nathan.p.willis
nwillis@glyphography.com