Re: Best options for programmatically analyzing packages?

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 7:06 PM Nathan Willis wrote:

> what are the best relatively-modern tools for exploring stats about a set of packages from the Debian archive?

Basically everyone doing this reinvents the wheel from scratch and
most Debian services themselves have done that.

> the old Font Review service

The code for this is still available, unfortunately it is in a very
large tarball of the old subversion repository and I'm not sure anyone
bothered to migrate it to salsa, so I've attached a copy of the code
from my local checkout.

https://wiki.debian.org/Services/DebianFontReview
https://alioth-archive.debian.org/svn/pkg-fonts.tar.xz (6GB)

If you want to revive this, please see my old mail about it:

https://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-fonts-devel/2016-September/018325.html

Basically, it used Contents files to find out which packages contain
fonts and then aptitude to download them and then in a loop it
unpacked them, checked for font files, checked if the fonts were known
already and then computed things for new fonts that it found out
about.

I think this approach is approximately right, but it could do with
some parallelism, using apt's built-in caching, switching from
downloading/parsing Contents to using apt-file and similar.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise