Re: Suggestions for fonts-jetbrains-mono

Hi Rogerio,

Am Dienstag, den 30.06.2020, 22:37 -0300 schrieb Rogério Brito:
> 1 - please, split the version without ligatures (the ones with NL in
> their
>     names) from the package with the ligatures. It will be more
> convenient
>     for our users (and for those that prefer lighter installs).

this sounds like a reasonable package split.

> 2 - please, split the packages in with respect to the format of the
> fonts
>     (truetype, woff, woff2). I expect that to be better to satisfy
> the
>     necessities of packages that, in the future, come to depend on
> the
>     appropriate font formats and, of course, also result in
> smaller/leaner
>     packages/installs.

I beg to differ. If you want to install a font, you shouldn't have to
care about details like font file formats. They are just an
implementation detail (remember the reason why we changed from the
{ttf,otf}-<fontname> package naming scheme to fonts-<fontname>).

If you are asked to install the web-optimzed variants of jetbrains-
mono, you should be confident that installing the fonts-jetbrains-mono
package is enough to provide you with the most expected files for this
font. Also, the web fonts do not take up much space (i.e. that's what
they are optimized for), they do not even sum up to 1MB.

> 3 - there is a new version of the fonts (the one submitted to the NEW
> queue
>     is 1.0.4, while upstream has already released 1.0.6); the command
>     `uscan --report-status` also agrees with the observation above.
> :-)
> 4 - I cloned the repo from
>     https://salsa.debian.org/fonts-team/fonts-jetbrains-mono and saw
> that it
>     has no tags corresponding to upstream and debian releases. Please
> add
>     them and, if possible, adopt a standard gbp branching scheme.
> 5 - I submitted a bug report just a few moments ago upstream [*] to
> provide a
>     changelog (I hope that they do) and shipping that with the
> package would
>     be superb, especially as the font matures...

I agree with all of these, thanks for the heads-up!

Cheers,

 - Fabian